Fordham GSAS: Grad. Life: New Book Product: Playaway Audio Books

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Book Product: Playaway Audio Books

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to a happy, healthy, productive, 2013! 
Here's the first blog post of the new year! 


Okay, so because I have sort of a full plate (although, knock on wood, I'm sure it could be worse), and because I drive a lot, I have, for the past five years or so, gotten into the routine of listening to books in my car. I love to read, so much, and mostly I love to read fiction, but writing and researching for my early American literature dissertation takes away virtually all of my "sit down and read" time. So my solution became to listen to books in my car. I listen to everything I can get my hands on from the local public library system: new fiction, old fiction, stuff I'd always meant to get around to reading, stuff I'd never heard of but gave a whirl. Listening to stories has become one of my favorite things to do.
It's kind of perfect for a busy graduate student. And, something new is happening in the world of audio books that will make it even better. Although audio books are still made in the CD format, digital mp3 audio books have also been doing well in the market -- ones you can download onto your Ipod, etc. But in this format, they are not really available to "borrow" from libraries, leaving us poor graduate students one more thing to budget for, or pass up. But recently, I spotted audio books being lent out in libraries in a new format: on Playaway Audio devices!
Here's what they look like on the shelves:



And here's what they look like inside the case:


     What you get when you check one out is an audio book, loaded onto a little hand-held device (sort of looks like a trapezoidal Ipod, with the book-cover design on the front), into which you can plug headphones, or auxiliary cables in your car, or speaker cables. It also comes with a Triple A battery.          
      They are great for me because I can plug them into my car, and listen while I drive, and then switch to headphones when I park my car and walk the five or six blocks to my apartment, or across campus, or wherever... it's even great for working out! I'm so motivated to get on the treadmill when I know I can find out what happens next in my book!!!
      Let me know if you see them around, and if you like them as much as I do!

Happy Listening! -- Liza

1 comment:

  1. Evolution of industrialization has badly affected our environment and it is now named as global warming, the normal temperature has risen to an extreme level, a picture with thousands of questions in mind. I am totally impressed by this sense of responsibility shown through silent meaning. Buy the best electric wheelchair today if you are a doctor or patient and want it for yourself, it is the best way to select the electric wheelchairs today.

    ReplyDelete